Friday, July 30, 2010

Tidal Wave

Twitter's just like a mini-blog, isn't it? Except it's in real-time. And you can respond to someone way faster. So it's like SMS too. Except you can't bring it out with you. Unless you have it in your phone. So it IS like SMSing a blog in real-time thoughts. Hmm.

I'm rambling on and on, as I am wont to do when I have nothing specific to talk about. But now that I think about it, I ramble on and on even when I have something specific to talk about.

Rambling and rambles about rambling aside, I have been pretty busy these past few weeks. It's not a set schedule, though. I sleep and wake and eat when I want to, but there'll always be something I have to do. And now it's not just housework.

My mum sells costume and Zhulian jewellery in front of my granddad's shop (kedai Hj. Hashim bin Hj. Abdullah at Joo Chiat Complex) on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. I used to head there after school on Fridays when I was in JC, but between JC and the current summer holidays my visits had dwindled. Put it down to straight laziness and irresponsibility. During the past few weeks, though, I've become more helpful (I hope; wouldn't want to be a hindrance). I even opened shop on my own for two days last week while my mum was overseas. It definitely gave me a huge appreciation for my mother's efforts in starting up this little venture. I'm probably the worst salesperson there ever was - I hate having to speak to people peering at the showcase. I usually stand there quietly with what I hope is a pleasant expression on my face. But that's where I've been and will continue to be spending my time till school reopens.

Ramadhan, especially, will be a busy time. My mum'll be operating a stall at the Ramadhan Bazaar during the fasting month, and, unlike the current one, it'll be open everyday till nighttime. My mum hasn't hired any workers (unlike the past Ramadhan), so it'll just be me and her. I'll be taking over for my mum when she goes home to prepare for breaking-fast meal for my sister and dad, so it seems we'll rarely see each other at home during this time. What I'm most dreading is being there, where it will be hot and humid, while fasting, and having to deal with the hordes of people who usually throng the bazaar (especially the sort that'll cause trouble). T_T Even now we're busy trying to price and pack items that will be sold, and trying to plan for things we'll need.

I feel so uncomfortable when people praise me for helping out. I may be there out of my own free will, but it all comes down to guilt, because my mum's doing this on her own and I'd otherwise be at home slacking. So I don't deserve any credit at all. Plus I'm living off my parents, so it's only fair I help them earn the money, right? That's probably why I'm doing more housework without being told to. Like washing dishes and folding clothes and scrubbing the toilet. Because I'm free, and leeching.

At least I get to indulge in my everyday pleasures of NCIS and Criminal Minds on Fox channel. Nothing like good crime investigation dramas to keep me happy. Plus there're the three CSIs and Justified on AXN, Dream Team and 2Days1Night on KBS World, Nigella Express and Rachel Allen: BAKE! on Discovery Travel and Living and America and Australia's Next Top Model on Star World. Whatever will I do without cable TV? Like I tell my parents frequently, I need cable TV to pass exams!

Here ends a post without direction. Brzzz brzzz brzz.

No comments: