Friday, April 23, 2010

I'm getting so cranky from reading it annoys even me! And it's not like I even read for the whole day! I only started at 2, had like an hour break for lunch, and then stopped at 6 to take care of domestic issues like make coffee, heat up food, etc. And now I feel so angsty I don't feel like doing anything. *Heavy sigh* I even lashed out at a chair. Because it's orange and cushioned. (Whaaat??!)

Anyway, I, for the first time in my Asian life, am sick of eating rice. So yesterday I made imitation rice-ball/ onigiri with none of the usual ingredients for lunch. Except while balling the rice up I thought it'd taste good dipped in egg and breadcrumbs. So I tried doing that, except the breadcrumbs were more bread than crumbs. And the entire thing was tasteless. Chili sauce had to come to the rescue.

My parents were out during dinner yesterday, so I decided to make dinner for my sister and I. I was still sick of plain rice, so I tried making ricecakes with (instant) cream of mushroom soup. But so many mishaps happened in the making of these damned rice cakes, I felt like crying and was moaning, "Why me? Why today?! Why??!!" The lack of normal ingredients, the burning of the scallions and garlic, and oil shooting at my face and arms were the least of my problems.

Numero uno: The entire house was filled with smoke when I was frying the ricecakes. They weren't burning or anything, but the frying pan just emitted so much smoke... The kitchen window was open, but I guess the sheets hanging right across it blocked the smoke from going out the window.

Number two: My frying pan caught on fire! I looked away for one second to put a fried ricecake on the plate, and when I looked up I was shocked to see fire about 10 cm high dancing over its surface, when there wasn't even any food on it. I eventually got to douse it... with the oil already on the pan.

Number three: The vegetable oil bottle cap fell into the frying pan, after it'd slipped out of my fingers when I was trying to keep the bottle. I had to fish it out of the pan with the ladle. Now it looks all deformed and wrinkly and spotty. Needless to say (but still I'll say it) I changed the oil, pan and the ladle. So that added another 10 minutes to my cooking time.

Eventually what was supposed to be 40 minutes of cooking because an hour and a half, plus sitting and waiting for my sister to come home so we could eat. Aigoya....

My mum's birthday is today, and I stayed up till 3 to make her card. My third card of April, but my pop-up skills are not improving at all. I made three different types of pop up cards this month, but I'm so proud of them! They take me a long time to make but I like crafty stuff (sly laugh). And my mum's card is now sitting pretty in a vase of (plastic) flowers.

I think I'll go have dinner with my family now.

No comments: