Wednesday, December 12, 2007

... happy birthday to me...

I got back from HK last saturday evening, but i hadn't really gotten the chance to go online at all since the computer had been annoyingly dominated by the sister and brother. Needless to say, the trip was a humongous amount of fun, dolloped with a bit of irritating (which usually comes about when you're travelling with parents who don't know anything about the country you're visiting and thus have resulted in you being utterly lost).

I'd wanted to shop a lot, using $300 of my own money. Unfortunately, I'm not a good shopper. So i fell way below budget, and only bought a few things. Damn. Haha. And I only shopped in the cheap stores- like the Ladies Market, which isn't even a store at all, lol. But it's ok, because it meant I could buy more things! Which I didn't; I only bought a bag, a jacket, an Arsenal jersey, and 4 tees. WTF?! Hahah.

Of course, when you're in HK and Shenzhen, you must do as the locals do, which is buy fakes. So we did. I've never been much of a fake-goods-buying-type person, but it's fun, laughing over the funny spelling mistakes on the bag- like Christian Diar, or Dolge&Gabbana, and Ciderella. Hahahaha. I got a Dolge bag (I'm not proud of it), and that's the only fake brand I'll ever buy. Hahah.

Anyways, the trip there began with a little bit of a hitch. Okay, a lot of hitches. First, someone, other than I, was caught accidentally trying to bring a pair of scissors onto the plane in his/her bag. Then we found out that the tvs in the plane were out of order, which meant the flight there would be boring as hell. All I could do to occupy myself was to continue my knitting (which is doubly boring). Then I realised I was sick, with a runny nose that didn't seem to want to slow down (and did not slow down until four days after).

Add all those problems to getting lost, and finding it difficult to find halal restaurants (because they were very far from our hotel), and my nose peeling on thursday from blowing my nose too much- and you have a seemingly very sian trip. But it was fun.

Things I enjoyed:
1. the cold, even though my nose didn't appreciate it too much. Singapore felt too warm after that, even in the air-conditioned airport.
2. the fact that I was in a different country, and people there didn't look like me
3. visiting "window of the world" in Shenzhen, where there were many replicas of key monuments of the world (including the merlion!). So i got to visit Paris, Spain, Italy, England, New York, etc.
4. riding all modes of public transportation available, such as a cab, a public bus, and a train.
5. shopping for cheap stuff that you can get for a very good bargain!
6. sitting in the window seat in an airplane, and looking down at clouds below me <3 style="font-weight: bold;">Things I found... interesting:
1. the deplorable hygiene of the people in Shenzhen. Everywhere, people can just start digging their noses in public. And they blow the phlegm from their nose on to the floor!
2. the fact that people in Shenzhen just throw their trash anywhere. After eating: no dustbin? No problem! Just throw your satay stick onto the floor!
3. pedestrians lack of regard for oncoming traffic. People in Shenzhen cross the road anytime they like, even in front of a fast-moving van.
4. that people always ask if we were malaysian or indonesian, and look surprisingly surprised when we say we're singaporean- even our tour guide!
5. that sales people try to get us to buy more expensive stuff when they find out we're singaporean

Shenzhen was... interesting, for sure, but it added a little spice to the trip. I would definitely repeat the whole trip over again!

Of course, I didn't just buy things for myself. But unlike my trip to Beijing, I didn't buy souvenirs for everybody I know, just a few key people. My cousins, my aunts, grandparents, and: Dan, Steph, Syaz and Diana. Nothing mega expensive though. I am still a student.

fina

p.s. Arsenal lost! as did Liverpool! ??? what freakish results, man. Arsenal lost 2-1 to Middlesborough, and Liverpool lost 3-1 to Reading??!!! So now no team is unbeaten in the BPL. Hleb, Cesc, Flamini, Robin, Abou- come back!

p.p.s. check out the picture of me and my fab4 arsenal jersey: here. the guy who printed out the tee put it on his site. and he gave me a free arsenal badge!

No comments: