Saturday, January 10, 2009

I learned two things today: 1. I'm not not cut out for cashiering. 2. Yes Man is a fabulous movie.

I helped out at my grand-daddy's bookstore today, while the men went out for Friday prayers. I got darned nervous everytime anyone asks me where something is, because I don't freaking know! There doesn't seem to be a discernible system of book organisation in the store, and religious authors' names don't strike a chord with me at all. So for 3 hours, I had to keep apologising to customers and telling them that the shopkeeper wasn't back yet. It was an okay experience, I guess, considering that I gave nobody the wrong change or bill (although I almost charged $1390 for a $13.90 item. The horror!). But all this was useful in crossing off another potential occupation: cashiering.

I left at 4 to head to Orchard on bus 7 (yay for buses!) to buy the tickets first for the Yes Man 7.10 show, before going up to Kinokuniya to browse through Arsenal mag and buy a book to make me happy. I'd thought of buying The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but I realised that I could read it online since it wasn't too long at all. (The link is here!) Then I thought of buying The Kissing Gates, which seemed to be an interesting wartime romance. In the end though, I ended up buying The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance, if only because I managed to coerce my sister into paying for the whole book so (ha!) I'm reading it for free.

Really, Stephenie Meyer managed to incite me and my sister into a vampire romance frenzy. First I buy two volumes of L. J. Smith's Night World Series (which I just absolutely love!), and now this? What next? Buffy The Vampire Slayer (even though the only likeable character was Spike)?!

Pat and I did make it into the theater before the movie started, even despite pausing at Mac's to buy us some meals. I got curly fries!! Yes Man totally rocks! It had good actors, and had deep, meaningful lessons interweaved into the main storyline. But who cares about that? All that matters is that it was funny! Even (or especially) with Jim Carrey's trademark over-the-top humour. I agree with Pat in that it was a good way to start weaning ourselves off watching Twilight again and again. But we're going to watch it (for the last time, I feel obliged to add!) next week. A sort of... farewell gathering, if you will. Hahaha.

Pat and I each took a picture with Edward's huge poster at the cinema afterwards, making a fool of ourselves in the process. But who cares? For just one second, it was just me and Edward alone, isolated in our own sweet lullaby-infused cocoon, a moment which was immortalised in 2-D by way of a camera-phone... hahaha. And then we made bigger fools of ourselves when we took five minutes to snap a timed picture in Orchard MRT station, in order to capture us against a backdrop of electronically-produced image of trees. The picture came out nicely though (: yayness!

I should go to sleep soon. I don't feel like doing that, though. Oh yeah, I'm going cycling again on Sunday! Cycling is the world's most fantastic sport!

fin*

No comments: