Thursday, January 08, 2009

Today, at 1.30 a.m. in the morning, I shall ponder two of life's greatest mysteries.

Runner-up to MYSTERY OF OUR EXISTENCE: PMS. I know that chemicals in our brain incite certain emotions and stuff, and PMS is supposed to be (if I'm not mistaken) one such chemical reaction that makes women emotional and irrational. My mystery is: why??! As in, why us? Why women? Is there some natural survivalist reason that God made us women irrational at certain times of the month? Does this supposedly equip us with tools to survive better?

I'm imagining (since women that do not PMS do not ovulate) that PMS allows us to take better care of our eggs and all, because we go crazy when we PMS, and so dastardly males and other females who may have been planning to attack us become frightened into staying far, far away from us crazy people. They know we'll do something unpredictable in response to any disturbance to our lives, which must make our perceived dangerousness increase (at least) a hundred-fold. Thus to make a long story short: PMS = crazy ovulating women = attackers scared = eggs safe = reproduction and survival of the species.

Now, don't you start with scientific explanations of what PMS is, and what it has to do with ovulating, and what it does psychologically to other people. I am perfectly content with my imagined explanation which was a result of quiet contemplation while taping up boxes in preparation to move. Haha.

Finally, I'm getting to the number one MYSTERY OF OUR EXISTENCE: Tennis World Number 1 Rafael Nadal's continuous and continual wedgie. Since the ATP World Tour started this week in Doha (as well as the Abu Dhabi event), I've returned to watching tennis again. This re-ignited my absurd fascination with Rafael Nadal's wedgie. Now please, before I get teased about this, let me clarify - his wedgie is too long survived and too prominently featured in many impersonations by World Number 3 Novak Djokovic, that it is impossible not to notice his deal with wedgies and his digging into his butt to fix them before every serve. And I seriously mean, every serve.

He's changed outfits this season, deviating from the usual sporty sleeveless gear to a college shirt and shorter shorts that end just above the knee. But although he looks better now, he still has that wedgie! I don't know, perhaps it could that his shorts are a bit snug? (Still? after all this time?) Or his underwear's not the right type? (But shouldn't he have started looking for new underwear a long time ago?) Maybe his butt is just too tight that the underwear just can't help getting caught in there...

Whatever the reason is, I wasn't sure how to illustrate it to people who haven't seen his wedgie before. I thought surely not even youtube will have a video of just wedgies. But my lack of faith was shamed, for youtube does have footage! Lesson: youtube has videos of everything. So below's the video. (And i really did seriously truly mean it when I said he fixes his wegies before every serve. Maybe that's the secret to being World Number 1...)



(I am a Nadal fan. No offence was meant by the preceding paragraphs.)

I shall go to bed and ponder some more. Goodnight!
fin*

No comments: